Saturday, April 21, 2018

My Journey to TPT Flock 2018


                   


http://www.tptflock.com/Worth a Thousand WordsMr Mault's Marketplace Count on TriciaSelma DawaniDouble Dose of Learning   Literary Sherri













Not so long ago at a conference far, far away (okay, not really that far away)...I attended my first TPT meet-up.  It's hard to believe that a week ago I was able to gratefully put another check on my hope-to-someday list.

I've been wanting to attend this event ever since I first heard about it four years ago.  The big conferences were always too far and out of budget.  Finally, something similar appeared that was either just within reach or perhaps just the tiniest bit beyond it.  TPT Flock was the best chance I had to attend a Teacher-Author meetup, learn more about my business, and meet the educators behind the icons.  It seemed, however, that one way or another, Fate was determined I could not go.

And this would be a GOOD thing, because it all lead up to 2018.

2015- I was working at a charter school, had a little extra cash, and hopeful my tax refund might just pave the way to New York...

...that was until I found out I would owe tax instead of a refund and experience the joys of both cars deciding to break down at the same time.

2016- I was in my second trimester, using weekends to catch sleep, and looked like BB8.  It wasn't happening.

2017-  Definitely not pregnant this round, but after attempting to work part-time and juggle childcare, my husband and I mutually agreed that the best thing to do would be to stay home with my baby.  Being a stay-at-home mom was and is a joy I am glad to experience, but the change in lifestyle meant a big change in budget.   Flock 2017 was not in the cards.

2018- TPT is my official income as a stay at home mom.  It varies month to month, but Days-out with Daddy and Grandpa's retirement opened up opportunities to get more work done and reinvest in my  store.  I found myself with lots of ideas , a lack of focus (fried mom brain), and of course, that familiar longing to join the Flock.

The seasonal transition, however, brought an exhausting case of pneumonia (poor hubby!) immediately followed by two more weeks of colds and sinus issues for everyone in the family!  I had stopped thinking of the conference when somewhere between sicknesses, I found a way to get to the Rochester.

But there were still complications.  My husband was just getting over his bout with pneumonia and not ready for a weekend getaway just yet.  Then there was the issue of wild  1-year-old who is known for launching off couches and dropping cell phones in toilets....and not known for sleeping through the night (usually calmed down by Mommy).  Keeping him home with my husband would defeat the purpose of his recovery efforts and sending him to grandparents alone could mean a sleepless night or two.

Somehow it all fell together when my parents discovered the nearby "Museum of Play", and made plans to  spend the day with their grandson while I attended the conference.  We packed the car, buckled the car seat, and headed west on a five-hour trip to Rochester.

Along the way, I began to worry.  After all this... the drive, the planning, the babysitting, the threats of a horrendous ice storm (that never really manifested in our area...)...would the conference be worth it?

                            


The conference offered so much that it's hard to really explain, but I can summarize the value of the event in these key points:

 People-When I first arrived, I was admittedly a little nervous.  I'm already a hermit-level introvert, so being in a room full of people I both admired online but didn't really know was somewhat overwhelming.  Thankfully, I made myself at at ease, surrounded by friendly and accepting people with abundant positive energy.

 I was happy to find good company with Liz and Deb, and it was great spending a good chunk of the conference with them.  This was a space filled with great people.  It felt good to get out, connect, and discuss.

Presentations- The conference workshops covered a variety of themes and topics.  Some focused on more specific elements of TPT marketing (Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook) while others went in a broader direction (branding, focus, strategies, trends, business tactics, networking) and some explored more technical aspects of our work (digital resources, TPT in Schools).  I learned something new and important at every presentation I attended.  The speakers were informative and enthusiastic.  My only regret was not being able to attend them all!


Passion- There was an unmistakable enthusiasm in everything and everyone! I wish I could save some in a bottle for those discouraging and brain-melting days.  (Guess I'll have to settle for a different type of bottle!)


Patterns- Patterns were woven here and there,found metaphorically within success stories but also in the beautiful motifs, trinkets, and visuals that brought everything together.


Persistence-This seemed to be a common theme! Keep going, keep trying, and don't give up!

Everything was exciting and worthwhile; from the inspirational keynote speech to the closing remarks that condensed and reiterated that TPT is a different kind of business with a great kind of people.



So all in all, a great time for many reasons!  Even Bubs had such a good time at the Museum of Play that he took a nice long nap for Grandma and Grandpa!




I mentioned that I found a way to get to TPT 2018, but I should say a way found me!  Many thanks to these two ladies who played a big role in my journey to TPT Flock 2018.


Literary Sherri
 Sherri has been a wonderful supporter of my store, always keeping me in the loop about the conference.  I have no idea how she is able to manage her own obligations, TPT resources, and somehow craft a conference with such detail and love.  Thank you for leading such an incredible day.





 Gramma Elliott - Educational Tools



 I have been a longtime admirer of Gramma Elliott's beautiful hand drawn clip-art and unique visuals. There is something comforting and overall pleasant about her store and resources.  Give her store a visit! You will be glad that you did.



I left the conference with a strong sense of motivation, plenty of inspiration, and an abundance of ideas.   Hopefully I can apply what I've learned and maybe someday my little corner of TPT will grow into something that can help out a hardworking husband who has to juggle two jobs, wonderful grandparents who want to retire, and bring a more stable income as I grow in my role as a stay-at-home mother to an adventurous little guy.


There were many great take tips, pointers, success stories, and words of wisdom shared at the conference. 

One of the most important things that I brought home is a  little card I keep in my new idea notebook.








No comments:

Post a Comment